George H. Hermann on Findagrave
Birth: Aug. 8, 1843
Death: Oct. 21, 1914
Philanthropist. By the time of his birth in 1843 the family owned a bakery and dairy business in Houston, Texas, having moved to the town in 1838. In 1861 he joined the Confederate Army serving in the 26th Texas Calvary until 1865. In 1872 he began the first of many ventures. After beginning in the cattle business as stock-keeper, he partnered with W. J. and Julius J. Settegast selling cattle and land. In 1884 his attentions turned to real estate and he began his purchases of land in the Houston area. Most often recognized by his contributions to the Hermann Hospital in Houston, his donations of land lead to many opportunities for the city. The original donation of land for the Hermann Hospital has been expanded over the years to become the Houston Medical Center, considered by some to include some of the finest medical facilities in the United States. The construction, maintenance and operations of the hospital were provided for in his will. The donation of 285 acres of land across from Rice University was developed into Hermann Park. The park was completed and opened in 1920. It contains the Houston Zoological Gardens. The Houston Art League was the recipient of a land gift and they founded a museum. The Museum of Fine Arts opened in 1924 and it was the first of it's kind in Texas. Upon his wish to see a park where Houstonians could sleep overnight without police interference, he donated the land of his original birthplace to be named in honor of his mother. The Board of Trustees of Hermann Hospital paid honor to him with the installation of a bronze statue in 1981.
(bio by: Julie Karen Hancock (Cooper) Jackson)