Visited Sunday July 06, 2008
Formed From Limestone County
Created September 6, 1850
Organized January 6, 1851
So Named From The Nature Of It's Stone
County Seat, Fairfield,
Formerly Known As Mound Prarie
Wilbur H. Bailey Memorial Post 5872
Dedicates This Marker Honoring All
Veterans Of All Wars
Peace Officer and Fire Fighters Memorial
James B Rogers 11-27-1836 ~ 04-13-1872 Sheriff
Bragg Dunbar 02-05-1870 ~ 08-09-1918 Constable
Tim Willard 10-02-1895 ~ 04-19-1928 Special Texas Ranger
Barvon C. Hamilton 03-11-1927 ~ 08-01-1998 Firefighter
A visitor was there when I was!
Val Verde Battery
Six Brass Field Guns Taken by Lt. Joseph D. Sayers Company In Civil War Battle of Val Verde N. Mexico, 1862, and brought back to Texas with incredible dificulty, armed a new unit of hand-picked men. Sound of the Val Verde Guns in action set pace for other outfits helped secure such victories as the recapture of Galveston, 1863.
At Mansfield, Louisiana, April 1864. Captured New, Longer-Range Guns.
Unwilling to lose their guns when the war ended, the men buried four. the last commander T. D. Nettles, brought this one home to Freestone County.
Fairfield Lodge No. 103
W. M. Henderson W. M.
W. D. Phillips S. M.
W. H. Ghilds J. W.
S. W. Robinson County Judge
C. C. Terry - J. B. Roberts - S. L. Bryant - J. W. Lindley
W. M. Rice Contractor - W. R. Kaufman Architect
Stephen F. Austin Oak Tree ~ Plaque
Before you is a Stephen F. Austin Oak Tree grown from an acorn harvested from a magnificent live oak, near present day West Columbia, Texas, at the site where Stephen F. Austin died on December 17, 1836. There, a Texas Historical monument memorializes Austin as "The Father Of Texas". A title given him by General Sam Houston.
This Stephen F. Austin Oak Tree certified by the Texas Forestry Service under the direction of Texas A & M University was presented and planted on the grounds of the Freestone County Court House January 21, 2000 by The Sons Of the Republic Of Texas, Henry Awalt Chapter.
In front of the Fairfield, Texas Post Office
In front of the Freestone County Courthouse